Saturday, June 18, 2016

Concrete-Everyday A, B, C


credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/546835579731796815/


Geometric planters are raging through Pinterest and Instagram accounts. 

I tried to construct with the online templates using cardboard but failed big time. 

Hence, I started researching on creating a mould and it led to the purchase of a 3D printer!

I followed M3D printer for a brief period of time when it launched on the crowdfunding platform. And, the reviews were mostly good. It's popular with 3D printer novice since the price is not exorbitant. 


Most of the projects that I want to create a mould for are small in size, or they can be pieced together to form a big piece. So, this printer made a good trial. 

I actually paid extra for a transparent piece. But, after using it, actually, a normal opaque piece would have been better. The printer comes with backlight and being a transparent piece, the light can be obstructing to sight when one looks in to check the printing on the print bed.


While it's not mandatory to use M3D's propriety filament, I chose to simply because I wanted to keep it simple should I run into a technical issue. M3D had been relatively helpful and fast in their response the few times when I wrote in.   
Along the way, I realised that it's better to use 3D Ink filament than the normal PLA filament.  PLA filament is cheaper, but I was deeply frustrated when the filament didn't stick to the print bed, or it just couldn't stick together when layering up. After seeking technical advice from M3D, I learned to adjust the temperature of the nozzle and resolved the issue. For a beginner, it might perhaps be better to go with the 3D Ink filament

I tried a couple of software and to stay with Google's Sketchup. Though I am using the free version, it's enough to serve my needs. 

I was totally new to 3D printing when I first started. Reading up helped a lot. If you have a library within your vicinity, that would be your best learning resource. Otherwise, check out Amazon for their list of books. Somehow, the dummy series work well for me. 

Next, concrete sealer. 

I wanted to use the concrete planter for herbs and veggies, so I was trawling the web for a food grade sealer. Man... it was tougher than looking for a 3D printer. 

Cheng Concrete Sealer appears to be the only concrete sealer which is food safe and contains no toxic substance. The application seems to be easy enough by wetting the object with water; diluting the sealer with 1 part of sealer to 3 parts of water, wiping the mixture over the object and wiping the excess away. Repeat the last two steps for a couple of times until the concrete object's surface appears to be evenly coated with an even tone across the surface. Leave the object overnight to dry and do a water test. Leave a small amount of water on the object and if the water does not seep through, all's well. If the water seeps through, repeat the last 2 steps again. 

I am likely to get the Cheng Concrete Countertop Wax, just to complete the look for projects that I want a slicker look. 

Looking forward to sharing some pictures when the projects are ready!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...