Thursday, August 21, 2014

Gardens by the Bay - Conservatories

I decided to be a better host when hubby came to Singapore. 

I usually starve him and we would do our rounds at the usual malls. Nothing interesting. Thereafter he would be on his way home. On the contrary, when we are in Batu, I would need to stop him from overfeeding me. Come to think of it, I am really a terrible wife. 

So we went to Gardens by the Bay (GB). 

We decided to visit the cool conservatories and the Supertree Grove, and give the rest a miss for this time round. 

We reached GB slightly before 6pm; after taking into consideration that Garden Rhapsody @ Supertree Grove happens at 745pm and 845pm. 

We parked at Meadow car park. Bad choice given our intention was the conservatories. 

We had no idea it would take at least 10 min to get to the ticketing area and conservatories by parking here. 

Walking out at the end of the visit was kind of eerie given most visitors parked at the basement parking that was a lot closer to the conservatories. We were practically alone when we walked back to the car. 

But we saw a bit more when we walked from this parking lot. Giant baby. Marina Bay Sands. 




Tickets first - we bought two tickets to the cooled conservatories - Cloud Forest and Flower Dome. My passion card gotten me an additional discount, not much, but pretty happy about it since I did not expect it. This card is serving me pretty well; especially when I am at the library. Instead of the usual 8 books, I can borrow up to 10 books! 

First stop - Flower Dome. 

The theme is desert. Plenty of succulents, cactus. 



The display gave us some inspirations on how we should do up our garden next. Minimal care and water needed, it seems... We were pretty surprised that groups of succulents put together could look so cool!



I like the glass / metal structure. Minimalist, plus lot of views through the glass. Iconic structure like Singapore Flyer complimented the dome well. 


The level below had lot of pretty flowers, but it was kind of dark already. We were kind of surprise the place was not really well lit. Was it meant to be such? 

While walking down to the next level, we simply took in the gardens without taking much photo since it was already dark. 


Next stop - Cloud Forest. 

It was completely dark when we visited the Cloud Forest. With the conservatory already pretty cool, the giant waterfall at the entrance made a chilling entrance. Hubby loved it; I was only interested to take a proper photo of the water fall and to move away from the chilliness. 


After some exploring, we went all the way up to the highest level - level 6, and started from there. A sight of cloud / mist greeted us. Plenty of it as we walked our way down the metal bridge. Besides the flowers and greenery, it would make sense to admire the beautiful night scenes outside of the dome. 


We caught the Garden Rhapsody at 845pm and the light display accompanied with the music was spectacular. The performance was named "Rainforest Orchestra - Australasia and Oceania". I like the fact that the performance is not limited to ticket holder only. Anyone can sit around and enjoy the performance. 

My camera lens blurred once we were out of the conservatories. I had wanted to video the rhapsody...the condensation did not clear until we were about to leave. In the end, I had to made do with iPhone photo. Boohoo...


When I was sorting out the photos, I was pretty surprised with the little flower photos I took. It was more of an experience this round. Our next visit, it would make sense to be there earlier, about 4pm or so. So that we can experience the conservatories in light. 

The next time hubby is in town, I know where we could go too - Night Safari! I heard he had some adventures at Singapore Zoological Gardens many years ago. Wondering if anything interesting would happen this time ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...