Monday, July 14, 2014

Onwards

I love Starbucks even though I am not a coffee fan. So when I saw the new book, Onward, I just picked it up and paid for it. 

I know there are people who would go for a kopitiam's coffee anytime, and proclaim Starbucks's coffee is overpriced etc. I do not even drink coffee, what do I know, right?



I like the coffee smell that engulfs me when I step into a Starbucks cafe. I like the design of the cafe and I like the environment. 

Yup, I know, very superficial stuff. So what? I think I am am allow to indulge in small luxury like this... hmmm.. right? 


There are reasons why I like Starbucks as a company first. 


Many years ago, when I was looking for a job, I went to Starbucks for an operational post. Similar experience per the prior job, but different product. I was asked to work for a day in one of their stores. I was glad to find everything is pretty much similar in terms of operations. But guess what I like best? I came to know that if I think I am ready for a promotion, besides the recommendation from the superior, I could actually recommend myself and ask to be tested! 


People who have worked for a while know much as we want a perfect environment where we hope the immediate superior is most willing to teach and fair person, it is not easy to find one. I have only met one such person in my 20 years. While the system did had its flaw but it was very appealing to me. To me, it represented a fairness that rely on skill and capability, where the influence of human factor could be reduced dramatically. 


A lot of people would know health care in US is expensive. Starbucks provide healthcare benefits as long as you work 20 hours a week. Their coffee comes from ethical source. In 2008, they held their biennial meeting in New Orleans, which had yet recovered from Hurricane Katrina. They had helped many people paid their mortgages and bills that month with the amount of money that they spent there. 


These are what I like about the company. When it has the ability, choices made to benefit themselves include those who need it. Besides building a powerful brand, there is also a big heart. 


I like the values behind this company. 



People can question whether this is truly the values of the company or it is a front that is being put out for business and PR sake. 

I have kind of gave up this train of thoughts many years ago. I can either be a cynic and have all type of thoughts about the company or I can read a bit more and decide for myself if I am going to go with what is presented to me. 

Life is kind of busy with so much of things happening all at the same time. Frankly, I do not mind being a bit naive at times and take it at face value. After all I am not like giving them my life savings.

I can only say I am happy to buy from Starbucks because even if it is for business front; I am glad to know that I am helping the farmers in the struggling developing countries one way or the other. 

Onward is heartful read. It is not just about Starbucks. I like the messages that were presented in the book - values, innovation, humanity, responsibilities and social contribution. 


Howard Schultz's proceeds from the sale of the book would be donated to the Starbucks Foundation. So, good to know I am contributing again :)


Singapore National Library Board has the book for a loan. 

Or check it out at Book Depository or Amazon if you would like to add it to your collection. Remember to take shipping cost into consideration!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...