Saturday, December 14, 2013

Dear Life

Dear Life, I once read time travel is possible when one travels faster than the speed of light. If this is really possible, I would like to leave a note to the 21-year-old-me.

I would like to tell the 21-year-old-me not to worry too much about not finding her soulmate because he would appear just like so many wise ones had preached in the past and in the future to come - when the time is right, the right one would come along. Please treat all relationships that did not turn out as she wishes as treasured lessons of life; they would teach her to love better. Learning to understand that there are human traits which simply do not sit well with her and she should never compromise because a soulmate is for life. Never change herself to love another person. 

I would like to tell the 21-year-old-me to spend more time with the family, especially the parents, and treasure the time with the little ones in the family, because the former ages in a twinkle of the eye and the later grows too fast. I would like the 21-year-old-me to learn to take things slower and not so hard, not so serious; because she was once young like the later without any worries and she would age like the former. The stages in between the two are only meant for us to grow and to love, and we would all eventually turn to dust when the time comes. 

I would like to tell the 21-year-old-me that frugality is a trait that she should learn to treasure. Do not feel embarrassed when others mistake this as stinginess; you know yourself the best and you give willingly in the time of need. Keep your values close to your heart and continue to be humble. Trust your gut feelings. These would guide you well in times of doubt. 

I would like to tell the 21-year-old-me to travel more; way more often. Have a trip once every three months, go on work-visa programmes, explore the world so that you can learn and work better on your dream - to write with more empathy. Take the first step, worry less about the day-to-day expenses, to stop worrying if your lungs would collapse on you unexpectedly. I would like the 21-year-old-me to listen to her inner voice and to go with it. The voice inside you would be the one cheering on for you when you are down and silent when you are complete. 

Dear 21-year-old-me, there are so many things in life that you would never expect; trading a familiar life for a life of love after you finally come to peace with spending time on your own, losing your life savings when you thought you could finally take a break from the rat race and going back to ground zero when you are about to enter your mid life. This is life; do not expect all to understand you, neither do you need to explain yourself. People who understand you do not need your words of clarification. You are what you are today because life has shaped you as such; do not feel guilty about being yourself. Learn to love yourself more. 


Dear Life, if time travel is really possible, I would also like to tell the 65-year-old-me something. 

Dear 65-year-old-me, I am now at a stage where I could really use some support to get the now-me past some challenges in life, to make the right decisions so that I can meet a happier you in less than 30 years. It would be really great if you can be here and tell me if I am making the right choices and if the sacrifices that I am making are worth the while. I think of you constantly, where you would be, are you happy, have you realise your dreams, and love the people in your life?

I trust life would be fair when you work your ass off; do what I need to do and life would take care of the rest. This is the belief I rely on when the tough gets going. 

Dear 65-year-old-me, this is Dec 12 in year 2013. I am happy now though there are challenges, but I think I can get through them. Till I see you. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...