Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Gender Equality

I just need to write about this book that I wrote about a while ago - Lean In - because I finally finished it, and there are things that I really like in it. 

There are so many pointers that I like; just so many. I can't write all since everyone would be really bored by the time I finished. Taking the gender out of the context, this is what I like: 

  • It's time the male should not be given weird looks if they choose to be the stay-home-dad. Moms may have the boobs to give the baby a comfy support, but the dad can do it just as well with a comfy blanket. 
  • Housework to be shared equally! To show my 101% support for this statement needs both my legs on top of both my hands, counting all the 10 toes and fingers! Housework should never be dumped onto one party, or the partner who is working from home, well, unless, the stay-home partner is a stay-home-worker. If both are working, chores should always be shared. No one like to be choring away, everyone likes to be on the couch. 
  • Don't belittle yourself and be mean to yourself. Speak up. No one owes it to you to give you the chance; you owe it to yourself. Speak up if you truly deserve that promotion. 
  • Help those around you, both in career and personal life. Pay it forward. When everyone start to lend a helping hand, the world becomes a better place, faster. Of course, still help the mean-ies; point them to the counselling centre to get a value cleansing first. 
  • The last, and my favourite - when you are offer a seat in the rocket, you do not ask where is the seat, you get on. When you are looking for a career, starting a business, look for the fast growth. We are not talking about endless overtime, but the culture. Do not get stagnant, that is when the politics starts. 

Perhaps some males might find the book very skewed in certain views, but if you take out the gender issue, this is a very good read. I would recommend it to all, especially the ladies. 

To end, since Sheryl Sandberg wrote this book, let's just say more for the women, it would be nice to end this post with a fantastic recent viral video. Thanks Mom!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...